Skip to content

What is UM/UIM Coverage?

    < 1 minute read

     One component of insurance policies should be Uninsured or Underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM).  When purchasing or upgrading a policy, you will want to make sure that you have these as a part of a policy.  These coverages will protect you and your passengers in the car, in the event that you are in an accident and the other party involved has no or too little insurance to cover the damage to your car, medical bills and expenses. 

    A handful of states require drivers to have this coverage as a part of their policy and California is amongst them.  However, you are allowed to waive this coverage with your signature.  UM/UIM insurance typically does not cover most property damage.  You should check the specifics of your policy to see what is covered.

    For careful drivers’ who don’t carry collision coverage, you may want to add Uninsured Motorist Property Damage coverage (UMPD).  In most cases this is less expensive than carrying full collision coverage.  Carrying this type of coverage can help to repair damage to your vehicle in the event that the other driver does not have or carry enough insurance.

    It is always important to consult your current agency to make sure you are clear as to what coverage you currently carry.  If you are thinking about switching agencies or would like more information, please contact an AIS Auto Insurance Specialist at 888-772-4247 or request on online insurance quote. 

    This content is offered for educational purposes only and does not represent contractual agreements. The definitions, terms and coverages in a given policy may be different than those suggested here and such policy will be governed by the language contained therein. No warranty or appropriateness for a specific purpose is expressed or implied.